Chronic pain is always a challenge, but it is especially debilitating when it affects the shoulders and the neck. The muscles and nerves that begin in these body parts can extend all the way down to the fingers. When severe symptoms set in, you may be in too much pain to write, type, or even hold a spoon. Other troubling conditions like migraines can be triggered by damage to the neck. Learn about the signs of serious neck pain and the options available to you for treatment.
What is Neck Pain?
Damage to the neck and shoulders may not manifest as pain first. Other symptoms often appear before the pain, but go unnoticed for weeks or months. Paying close attention to your body will ensure that you seek treatment as soon as a problem like whiplash or tendinitis sets in. Neck pain appears as a symptom of dozens of disorders, so you will need the help of a professional in Houston to hunt down the true cause.
Neck Pain Symptoms
Endless variations of neck pain occur, with each new change bringing on a set of possible causes. Your symptoms could take the form of:
- Burning sensations in the skin or muscles
- Cramping and twitching of the neck
- Muscle stiffness and loss of range of motion
- Tenderness to the touch
- Pain that increases when you move or try to stretch
- Cracking, popping, or rustling noises when you move your head and neck
- Glandular pain on either side of the neck
Cause of Neck Pain
The causes of neck pain are numerous, but there are just a few conditions that most of our patients are experiencing. These common causes can include:
- Muscle or ligament strain due to overexertion and repetition
- Dislocated shoulders
- Entrapped or pinched nerves in the neck and upper back
- Looseness or instability in the neck and shoulder
- Traumatic injury during a sports game or a car accident
- Fractures to the arm or collarbone, either freshly broken or improperly healed
Neck Pain Risks
There are a few rarer and more severe causes of neck and shoulder pain. If your symptoms become severe or set on very quickly, seek immediate treatment in case of:
- Hereditary joint abnormalities
- Internal injury or recent fracture
- Degenerative disorders that attacking the spine and discs
- Infections in the neck
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Tumors pushing on nerve roots
Neck Pain Treatment Options
The treatment depends on the severity of the pain. For immediate relief, Texas Spine and Sports Therapy Center offers injections that soothe inflammation and release tension without affecting the rest of the body or mind. Treatments for chronic pain linked to an old injury include:
- Manual therapy from the chiropractor to reset misalignment
- Massage and stretching to loosen up tight muscles
- Relaxation techniques to help tension melt away
- Chiropractic adjustments
- Chronic pain management treatments to help you avoid both medications and surgery
- Corrective care for the cervical spine to help restore the curve
Seeking The Truth About Neck Pain
If you have been struggling with chronic pain in your neck and shoulders for years, you may be surprised to learn about your new treatment options. We can try vibration therapy to improve blood flow to speed healing, or try trigger point therapy if the problem is stress related. Even numbness, tingling, and inflammation can fade with proper treatment. Contact Texas Spine and Sports Therapy Center to alleviate your neck pain today.
The Initial Visit
When you arrive for your first visit, Dr. Atencio or a member of Texas Spine and Sports Therapy Center team will spend time with you collecting your patient history. This information will help your Texas Spine and Sports Therapy Center Team know how significant your neck pain problem is and how best to help you. As you get started with a treatment plan for your neck pain, we will most likely give you some at home tips to be aware of. The Team at Texas Spine and Sports Therapy Center has a lot of experience with neck pain, but we will also need your participation in your care for the best results.
Feel free to look at our testimonials page to see what others have said about Texas Spine and Sports Therapy Center. We’re proud to be part of their health care team. We want to thank you for considering us to help with your neck pain. It does not have to be a life sentence. You don’t have to become another statistic, neck pain is a fixable problem.
Free Neck Pain Consultation
If you are suffering from neck pain, Dr. Atencio and the team at Texas Spine and Sports Therapy Center are ready to help. Texas Spine and Sports Therapy Center provides specialized treatment plans for neck pain in Houston and can help you understand where your symptoms are coming from and what it will take to improve.
Call (512) 806-0015 today to schedule your free consultation!