Do You Suffer From Migraines?
Each year, thousands of hours of productive time is lost to the severe headache known as a migraine. Over 28 million people experience migraine headaches during each year, according to Medical News Today. Dozens of symptoms can strike all at once, leaving the patient unable to walk, communicate clearly, or drive. This nervous system disorder is not yet fully understood, but we do have the treatments necessary to help you deal with these attack.
What Are Migraine Headaches?
While a migraine does involve a headache, it is far more complex. The basic headache only involves aching or pain in the head itself, with possible irritation behind the eyes or sinuses. Migraine headaches are far more severe and can last days or even weeks. You can seek treatment at our Houston clinic to deal with a current migraine or see us occasionally to help prevent them from developing in the first place.
Migraine Headaches Symptoms
There is an entire collection of symptoms that indicate you are dealing with migraine headaches rather than just basic pain. Our patients all experience one or more symptoms that include:
- Depression and irritability one to two days before the migraine starts.
- Yawning that is uncontrollable
- Stiffness of the neck
- Loss of vision and phenomenon like flashing lights
- Throbbing or regional head pain
- Indigestion and vomiting
- Fainting or feelings of lightheadedness
- Difficulty with spoken or written communication
Cause of Migraine Headaches
Research has just begun into the intricacies of the nervous system and how a migraine affects it. However, there are some common triggers and potential causes that patients and doctors alike have identified. Your migraines may be the result of:
- Blood sugar fluctuations
- Interrupted or unusual sleeping patterns
- Hormonal imbalances and changes
- Monosodium glutamate (MSG), nitrates, or the compound known as tyramine
- A wide range of food allergies
- Alcohol or drug addiction
- Brain chemical imbalances
- Dehydration and electrolyte issue
Migraine Headaches Risks
All of the causes and triggers of migraines are not fully understood yet, but there are some clear trends in the patients reporting them. There seem to be risk factors for migraine headaches like:
- Gender – Female patients are more likely to experience this condition than males
- Diet – Eating lots of aged cheeses, processed meats, and red wine
- Medications – Many antidepressants or vasodilators can affect the brain
Migraine Headaches Treatment Options
Many patients resort to damaging and overwhelming pain killing medications when their symptoms set in. Avoid the side effects of these drugs with safer care in the form of:
- Lifestyle recommendations to help you avoid common triggers
- Testing for food allergies and environmental sensitivities
- Tissue manipulation and trigger point therapy to relax tight spots that could be causing the reaction
- Spinal care that could relieve nerve pressure
- Testing for acute damage to the nerves throughout the neck and spine
Migraines May Strike Unexpectedly, So Be Ready
Waiting until your next migraine headaches to find help is a mistake. Call Texas Spine and Sports Therapy Center today if you are concerned that the pain and dizziness could strike while you are trying to drive or cook dinner. With some diagnostic testing and a little preemptive care, you may be able to spend months or even years free from an outburst of migraine headaches and the neck pain that accompanies them.
The Initial Visit
When you arrive for your first visit, Dr. Atencio or a member of the Texas Spine and Sports Therapy Center team will spend time with you collecting your patient history. This information will help your Texas Spine and Sports Therapy Center Team know how significant your migraine headaches problem is and how best to help you. As you get started with a treatment plan for your migraine headaches, we will most likely give you some at home tips to be aware of. The Team at Texas Spine and Sports Therapy Center has a lot of experience with migraine headaches, but we will also need your participation in your care for the best results.
Feel free to look at our testimonials page to see what others have said about Texas Spine and Sports Therapy Center. We’re proud to be part of their health care team. We want to thank you for considering us to help with your migraine headaches. It does not have to be a life sentence. You don’t have to become another statistic, migraine headaches is a fixable problem.
Free Migraine Headache Consultation
If you are suffering from migraine headaches, Dr. Atencio and the team at Texas Spine and Sports Therapy Center are ready to help. Texas Spine and Sports Therapy Center provides specialized treatment plans for migraine headaches in Houston and can help you understand where your symptoms are coming from and what it will take to improve.
Call (512) 806-0015 today to schedule your free consultation!